England Ireland Find Havens
England Ireland Find Routes
Boat
Maintenance
Comfort
Operations
Safety
Other



NextPrevious

Fethard On Sea

Tides and tools
Overview





Fethard Harbour is located on the southeast coast of Ireland six miles northeast of Hook Head Lighthouse and on the west side of Bannow Bay. The tiny drying quay located close to the peninsula’s main village is too small and confined for the vast majority of leisure craft. It does, however, offer an excellent anchorage with good holding, or a borrowed mooring, immediately outside the harbour.

Fethard Harbour is located on the southeast coast of Ireland six miles northeast of Hook Head Lighthouse and on the west side of Bannow Bay. The tiny drying quay located close to the peninsula’s main village is too small and confined for the vast majority of leisure craft. It does, however, offer an excellent anchorage with good holding, or a borrowed mooring, immediately outside the harbour.

Fethard affords good protection from southwest through west to north. The drying harbour offers good protection but is congested and prone to a surge in heavy southeast or southerly conditions. Access is straightforward as, save for a single easily avoided rock that has one metre of water above it on a low spring tide, the path of approach is clear.
Please note

Small boats planning to stay in Fethard Harbour must be prepared to dry out and cannot rely on space being available. Fethard Harbour, similar to all locations on the east side of the Hook Peninsula, should not be approached in any winds above Force 3 from the northeast, east, and southeast. Be watchful for lobster pot markers that are prolific in this sailing area.




1 comment
Keyfacts for Fethard On Sea



Last modified
June 17th 2019

Summary* Restrictions apply

A good location with straightforward access.

Facilities
Top up fuel available in the area via jerry cansShop with basic provisions availableMini-supermarket or supermarket availableSlipway availableHot food available in the localityPublic house or wine bar in the areaMarked or notable walks in the vicinity of this locationPleasant family beach in the areaInternet café in the areaDoctor or hospital in the area


Nature
No fees for anchoring or berthing in this locationAnchoring locationBeach or shoreline landing from a tenderJetty or a structure to assist landingQuick and easy access from open waterSet near a village or with a village in the immediate vicinity

Considerations
Restriction: shallow, drying or partially drying pier



Position and approaches
Expand to new tab or fullscreen

Haven position

52° 11.584' N, 006° 49.350' W

At the end of the pier at the harbour entrance.


What are the key points of the approach?

Offshore details are available in southeastern Ireland’s coastal overview for Rosslare Harbour to Cork Harbour Route location.


Not what you need?
Click the 'Next' and 'Previous' buttons to progress through neighbouring havens in a coastal 'clockwise' or 'anti-clockwise' sequence. Below are the ten nearest havens to Fethard On Sea for your convenience.
Ten nearest havens by straight line charted distance and bearing:
  1. Bannow Bay - 0.6 miles NE
  2. Baginbun Bay - 0.6 miles S
  3. Templetown Bay - 2 miles WSW
  4. Dollar Bay - 2.1 miles W
  5. Lumsdin's Bay - 2.3 miles SW
  6. Duncannon - 2.8 miles WNW
  7. Slade - 2.9 miles SW
  8. Creadan Head - 3 miles W
  9. Arthurstown - 3.5 miles WNW
  10. Passage East - 3.8 miles WNW
These havens are ordered by straight line charted distance and bearing, and can be reordered by compass direction or coastal sequence:
  1. Bannow Bay - 0.6 miles NE
  2. Baginbun Bay - 0.6 miles S
  3. Templetown Bay - 2 miles WSW
  4. Dollar Bay - 2.1 miles W
  5. Lumsdin's Bay - 2.3 miles SW
  6. Duncannon - 2.8 miles WNW
  7. Slade - 2.9 miles SW
  8. Creadan Head - 3 miles W
  9. Arthurstown - 3.5 miles WNW
  10. Passage East - 3.8 miles WNW
To find locations with the specific attributes you need try:

Resources search



What's the story here?
Fethard Quay
Image: Michael Harpur


Fethard-on-Sea, locally known as Fethard, is a small tourist village with a nearby fishing quay located six miles northeast of Hook Head Lighthouse, on the east side of the Hook Peninsula and the west side of Bannow Bay.


Local fishing boats alongside Fethard Quay
Image: Michael Harpur


The quay lies about ½ a mile away from the village, is tiny probably one of the smallest ports in the country, and dries out entirely on springs. For those prepared to work the tides, it has 4.7 metres can be expected at high water springs, or 3.2 metres at neaps but it is congested and only suitable for very small boats. In most all cases it is best to anchor outside the harbour in the mooring area situated about 100 metres north of the harbour. Local people are generous and you are in most cases free to borrow one of the existing substantial moorings just outside the harbour.


How to get in?
Fethard Quay around Innyard Point with Baginbun Head in the backdrop
Image: Michael Harpur


Convergance Point Use southeastern Ireland’s coastal overview for Rosslare Harbour to Cork Harbour Route location for seaward approaches. Vessels approaching from all directions will see the prominent Hook Head lighthouse upon Hook Point as a guide and Baginbun Martello Tower on Baginbun headland, 5 miles northeast by east. Fethard quay is located around and upon the north face of the Innyard Point headland situated one mile from Baginbun Head.


Baginbun Head with Innyard Point in the backdrop
Image: Michael Harpur


A southerly line of approach, or further out in the bay, will find no dangers except for the occasional lobster pot marker, which are prolific in the entire area and a careful watch should be maintained for them. Innyard Point should be given a wide berth as it is foul to a distance of 300 metres to the northeast of the point.


The low lying Keeragh Islands
Image: Burke Corbett


Vessels approaching from the east should give the two low rocky Keeragh Islands and their reefs a wide beath. Continuing on the same path south of the Keeraghs, that is not passing north of a direct line between the Keeragh Islands and Fethard Quay, passed to the south of other dangers here such as Selskar and Shoal Rocks. Shoal Rock is an uncharted rock with one metre of water above it on a low spring tide. It lies half 1 mile north by northeast of 'Innyard Point' outside of the harbour.


The initial fix is south of the centre point between the end of the drying area off Innyard Point and Shoal Rock, the latter being more of a concern for leisure craft at low water springs. There is a distance of approximately 250 metres between these with five metres of water in all of this area so it is easy to come safely in.


Fethard as seen from the approach
Image: Burke Corbett


Initial fix location From the initial fix proceed northeast until the small harbour of Fethard, close within Innyard Point, comes on the port beam. Then steer towards the quay.


Fethard Quay
Image: Michael Harpur


Haven location Anchor outside the harbour in the mooring area situated about 100 metres north of the harbour. Several local mooring buoys make this area readily apparent and excellent holding in clear sand will be found here. Local people are generous and you are free to borrow one of the existing substantial moorings just outside the harbour. Land in the harbour or on the beach close east.

The entrance as seen at low water
Image: Burke Corbett


Short term visitors can make use of the tide to come alongside the harbour. Those planning on doing so should target an arrival to be between half flood and half ebb tide.


Why visit here?
Fethard derives its name from the Irish Fiodh Ard meaning "high wood". Although locally known as Fethard, pronounced "FET – erd", it became Fethard-on-Sea in the early part of the 20th century to distinguish the village from Tipperary’s Fethard in the aftermath of the Mexico tragedy discussed presently.


The remains of the Motte & Bailey to the rear of the Bishop’s castle
Image: Michael Harpur


The story of the village of Fethard begins in earnest with the coming of the Anglo-Normans to Ireland in 1169. The borough of Fethard was granted to Hervey de Montmorency, uncle to the invasion’s leader Strongbow, after the conquest was complete. He built one of the first Anglo-Norman Motte & Bailey here in Fethard. In later years the family gave the land to Christ Church Canterbury who, at the beginning of the 13th-Century, granted the town to Richard de London who started the first stone castle on the Norman site. This, in turn, was built over by the current 15th-century castle when it passed to the Bishop of Ferns. Today all that remains of the original Norman Motte & Bailey is the large grassy mound behind the current Castle.


The Bishop’s castle
Image: Michael Harpur


This Bishop’s castle was an L-shaped fortified hall house with a prominent four storey round tower set upon its south-eastern corner. It was one of six Episcopal manors in the diocese of Ferns and the bishop utilised it as a summer retreat. The castle was important as it acted as the seat of a bishop and held the remains of Bishop Alexander Devereux, the colourful last Abbot of Dunbrody confirmed by King Henry VIII, who died in Fethard on the 19 August 1556. The Bishops ownership came to an end after the Confederate Rebellion. When Oliver Cromwell decisively defeated the Catholics and Royalist he redistributed the castle and estates to the Loftus family. They lived here for a short time before taking up residence in nearby Loftus Hall. The castle was then occupied by tenants of the Loftus estate and was finally abandoned at the height of the 1922 civil war when it fell into disuse. Shortly before this Fethard had changed its name to ‘Fethard-on-Sea’ in the wake of the Mexico disaster.


The rear view of the Bishop’s castle
Image: Michael Harpur


The Mexico was a Norwegian three-masted steel-hulled schooner that in the winter of 1914 was carrying a consignment of mahogany logs from South America to Liverpool. Embayed in a thick mist and driven by a fierce south-westerly gale the vessel went up on the southern side of the western-most Keeragh Island at 4 pm, Friday the 20th February. Seeing the vessel was doomed the captain gave orders to hoist distress signals and lower the vessel's lifeboat. Two crew members set to the lifeboat when a wave broke over the ship carrying away davits, men and lifeboat. By some miracle the small lifeboat and men were thrown between the two islands, clearing both to capsize on the mainland shoreline at Cullenstown Strand bringing the two men ashore alive.


The Keeragh Islands as seen from the northwest
Image: Burke Corbett


Despite the atrocious weather the Fethard lifeboat, with a crew of fourteen, launched the 11 metres Helen Blake and attempted a rescue. Approaching the stricken vessel in a big seaway the lifeboat itself capsized and was immediately cast up onto the rocks. The boat quickly smashed to pieces alongside the wreck of the schooner and in the next minutes, nine Fethard lifeboat men lost their lives along with their boat. The remaining five, along with the eight surviving sailors of the Mexico, succeeded in scrambling up the rocks of the Kerraghs. These offered cold comfort as the small low lying rocky islets are little more than raised reefs only attaining an elevation of 6 metres at their highest point. The Kilmore lifeboat then attempted a rescue but was driven back by the raging gale breaking in the confused currents around the islets. Seeing a rescue was impossible they were forced to run for survival. So the thirteen men were left to spend a dark and stormy night clinging to the rocks for their lives.


Depiction of a lifeboat from the period
Image: Public Domain
On Saturday morning a young Portuguese sailor, who had just joined the Mexico at Porto, died from exposure. An axe, that had floated ashore from the lifeboat, was used to scrape out a shallow grave for his remains. By then the steam tug called Wexford towed the Rosslare Fort lifeboat to the scene where it had joined the Dunmore East plus Kilmore lifeboats to pursue another rescue attempt. The storm continued unabated and all attempts failed that day in the mountainous seas. The boats once again had to retreat to shelter in Fethard Harbour, Kilmore Quay and Cheekpoint. The desolation of the beleaguered twelve at this point, upon seeing the lifeboats disappear again, must have been inconceivable. Wet and bitterly cold, with icy waves sweeping the rocks, sleet and rain falling in torrents from the skies, and with a meagre ration of salvaged tinned meat and raw island limpets but no fresh water to sustain them, once again into the darkness for another night, clinging to the rocks.


The ruin of a building dating back to 1800 intended to give shipwreck survivors
some sanctuary

Image: Burke Corbett


Worse was to come on Sunday. The conditions intensified so that no boat could put to sea. The little harbour of Fethard offered no comfort to its people. The full extent of the disaster had not, as of yet, revealed itself to the community. The Bannow coastguards had the island under observation through a telescope and from the numbers they could discern they already knew that this could not end well for Fethard. A sense of foreboding had enveloped the harbour but the people of Fethard were not willing to accept the worst for their men. Yet all they could do from the harbour walls was, from a great distance, helplessly watch the seamen clinging to ice cold rocks. Hoping that their loved ones were amongst those the storm relentlessly mauled. But the black mood began to sink precipitously deeper as the news of the bodies washing ashore came home.

Memorial to the lost lifeboat men
Image: Michael Harpur
Another attempt was made on Monday but it was still too dangerous for the lifeboats to approach the rocks of the low islets. However, a line was fired onto the island, by means of a rocket, which was used to haul a strong line on to the island. A rickety boat was attached to the line and sent in but it smashed to pieces on approach leaving only its lifebuoy. The lifeboat crew tried to persuade the men, one by one, to be dragged through the water to the lifeboat using the lifebuoy. They were, however, very reluctant to attempt this and only two men were saved by this method.

Finally, two ‘Rosslare Fort’ lifeboat crew managed a successful approach using the tug boat’s small punt. Picking out small lulls in wave patterns they got in close enough to the rocks to get hold of two men. They dragged them into the punt and navigated them back to the lifeboat. The successful approach established they then ferried the exhausted survivors, two at a time, five journeys in all, to the lifeboats standing off the breaking waves surrounding the islands. Most remarkably, on the second attempt, their punt was holed by the island reefs. The stalwart Rosslare lifeboat men managed to plug the leak by wedging a loaf of bread, wrapped in oilskins, into the opening and continued their rescue unabated until they took all remaining survivors to safety.

News of the dramatic event spread and a relief fund was set up for the widows and orphans of the lost men. Contributions were made far and wide including Norway’s King Haakon and Queen Maud who made personal donations. Sadly some of the contributions ended up in Tipperary’s inland town of Fethard and the coastal village’s official name was subsequently changed to Fethard-On-Sea to distinguish it. A memorial to the lost was erected in late 1915 and Fethard’s RNLI Lifeboat Station was closed owing to the concentrated impact of the loss of life upon the small village.


Fethard Quay is thought to be one of the smallest ports in the country
Image: Michael Harpur


Today Fethard is ten minute’s walk from the picturesque and tiny Fethard Quay. Built in 1741, the tiny quay is thought to be one of the smallest ports in the country. The village’s small main street with a mini market, a hotel, cafe and two pubs makes it the largest on the Hook Peninsula and it derives its income from fishing and tourism. Fethard Castle stands an unusual edifice amidst a small public park area off the north end of the main street. It has, in recent years, been acquired by Wexford County Council as a historic monument.


Yachts tucked in for the evening at Fethard
Image: Michael Harpur


In 1995 the RNLI reopened the station and placed an inshore lifeboat there. The boat is housed in the original 1886 boathouse, which was refurbished. In the centre of the village, there is a 1915 memorial to the lifeboatmen. It claims that Fethard has some of the bravest and most self-sacrificing lifeboat men in the world.


What facilities are available?
There is little available in Fethard Quay except for a landing pier and a slipway leading down to its small beach. Fethard-on-sea village, however, is a tourist destination with a mini supermarket, fuel, cafe, hotels and bars, and is a one-kilometre walk from the harbour.


Any security concerns?
There has never been an issue know to have occurred at Fethard-on-sea.


With thanks to:
Declan Hearne, Long term fisherman and retired area Coastguard leader. Photography with thanks to Michael Harpur and Burke Corbett.


Expand to new tab or fullscreen




Fethard Quay, County Wexford, Ireland
Image: eOceanic thanks Michael Harpur


Local fishing boats at Fethard Quay
Image: eOceanic thanks Michael Harpur


Local fishing boat alongside Fethard Quay
Image: eOceanic thanks Michael Harpur


The tiny Fethard Quay
Image: eOceanic thanks Michael Harpur


The slip adjacent to the quay
Image: eOceanic thanks Michael Harpur


The mooring area off the quay
Image: eOceanic thanks Michael Harpur


Fethard as seen from the anchoring area
Image: eOceanic thanks Burke Corbett
About Fethard On Sea

Fethard derives its name from the Irish Fiodh Ard meaning "high wood". Although locally known as Fethard, pronounced "FET – erd", it became Fethard-on-Sea in the early part of the 20th century to distinguish the village from Tipperary’s Fethard in the aftermath of the Mexico tragedy discussed presently.


The remains of the Motte & Bailey to the rear of the Bishop’s castle
Image: Michael Harpur


The story of the village of Fethard begins in earnest with the coming of the Anglo-Normans to Ireland in 1169. The borough of Fethard was granted to Hervey de Montmorency, uncle to the invasion’s leader Strongbow, after the conquest was complete. He built one of the first Anglo-Norman Motte & Bailey here in Fethard. In later years the family gave the land to Christ Church Canterbury who, at the beginning of the 13th-Century, granted the town to Richard de London who started the first stone castle on the Norman site. This, in turn, was built over by the current 15th-century castle when it passed to the Bishop of Ferns. Today all that remains of the original Norman Motte & Bailey is the large grassy mound behind the current Castle.


The Bishop’s castle
Image: Michael Harpur


This Bishop’s castle was an L-shaped fortified hall house with a prominent four storey round tower set upon its south-eastern corner. It was one of six Episcopal manors in the diocese of Ferns and the bishop utilised it as a summer retreat. The castle was important as it acted as the seat of a bishop and held the remains of Bishop Alexander Devereux, the colourful last Abbot of Dunbrody confirmed by King Henry VIII, who died in Fethard on the 19 August 1556. The Bishops ownership came to an end after the Confederate Rebellion. When Oliver Cromwell decisively defeated the Catholics and Royalist he redistributed the castle and estates to the Loftus family. They lived here for a short time before taking up residence in nearby Loftus Hall. The castle was then occupied by tenants of the Loftus estate and was finally abandoned at the height of the 1922 civil war when it fell into disuse. Shortly before this Fethard had changed its name to ‘Fethard-on-Sea’ in the wake of the Mexico disaster.


The rear view of the Bishop’s castle
Image: Michael Harpur


The Mexico was a Norwegian three-masted steel-hulled schooner that in the winter of 1914 was carrying a consignment of mahogany logs from South America to Liverpool. Embayed in a thick mist and driven by a fierce south-westerly gale the vessel went up on the southern side of the western-most Keeragh Island at 4 pm, Friday the 20th February. Seeing the vessel was doomed the captain gave orders to hoist distress signals and lower the vessel's lifeboat. Two crew members set to the lifeboat when a wave broke over the ship carrying away davits, men and lifeboat. By some miracle the small lifeboat and men were thrown between the two islands, clearing both to capsize on the mainland shoreline at Cullenstown Strand bringing the two men ashore alive.


The Keeragh Islands as seen from the northwest
Image: Burke Corbett


Despite the atrocious weather the Fethard lifeboat, with a crew of fourteen, launched the 11 metres Helen Blake and attempted a rescue. Approaching the stricken vessel in a big seaway the lifeboat itself capsized and was immediately cast up onto the rocks. The boat quickly smashed to pieces alongside the wreck of the schooner and in the next minutes, nine Fethard lifeboat men lost their lives along with their boat. The remaining five, along with the eight surviving sailors of the Mexico, succeeded in scrambling up the rocks of the Kerraghs. These offered cold comfort as the small low lying rocky islets are little more than raised reefs only attaining an elevation of 6 metres at their highest point. The Kilmore lifeboat then attempted a rescue but was driven back by the raging gale breaking in the confused currents around the islets. Seeing a rescue was impossible they were forced to run for survival. So the thirteen men were left to spend a dark and stormy night clinging to the rocks for their lives.


Depiction of a lifeboat from the period
Image: Public Domain
On Saturday morning a young Portuguese sailor, who had just joined the Mexico at Porto, died from exposure. An axe, that had floated ashore from the lifeboat, was used to scrape out a shallow grave for his remains. By then the steam tug called Wexford towed the Rosslare Fort lifeboat to the scene where it had joined the Dunmore East plus Kilmore lifeboats to pursue another rescue attempt. The storm continued unabated and all attempts failed that day in the mountainous seas. The boats once again had to retreat to shelter in Fethard Harbour, Kilmore Quay and Cheekpoint. The desolation of the beleaguered twelve at this point, upon seeing the lifeboats disappear again, must have been inconceivable. Wet and bitterly cold, with icy waves sweeping the rocks, sleet and rain falling in torrents from the skies, and with a meagre ration of salvaged tinned meat and raw island limpets but no fresh water to sustain them, once again into the darkness for another night, clinging to the rocks.


The ruin of a building dating back to 1800 intended to give shipwreck survivors
some sanctuary

Image: Burke Corbett


Worse was to come on Sunday. The conditions intensified so that no boat could put to sea. The little harbour of Fethard offered no comfort to its people. The full extent of the disaster had not, as of yet, revealed itself to the community. The Bannow coastguards had the island under observation through a telescope and from the numbers they could discern they already knew that this could not end well for Fethard. A sense of foreboding had enveloped the harbour but the people of Fethard were not willing to accept the worst for their men. Yet all they could do from the harbour walls was, from a great distance, helplessly watch the seamen clinging to ice cold rocks. Hoping that their loved ones were amongst those the storm relentlessly mauled. But the black mood began to sink precipitously deeper as the news of the bodies washing ashore came home.

Memorial to the lost lifeboat men
Image: Michael Harpur
Another attempt was made on Monday but it was still too dangerous for the lifeboats to approach the rocks of the low islets. However, a line was fired onto the island, by means of a rocket, which was used to haul a strong line on to the island. A rickety boat was attached to the line and sent in but it smashed to pieces on approach leaving only its lifebuoy. The lifeboat crew tried to persuade the men, one by one, to be dragged through the water to the lifeboat using the lifebuoy. They were, however, very reluctant to attempt this and only two men were saved by this method.

Finally, two ‘Rosslare Fort’ lifeboat crew managed a successful approach using the tug boat’s small punt. Picking out small lulls in wave patterns they got in close enough to the rocks to get hold of two men. They dragged them into the punt and navigated them back to the lifeboat. The successful approach established they then ferried the exhausted survivors, two at a time, five journeys in all, to the lifeboats standing off the breaking waves surrounding the islands. Most remarkably, on the second attempt, their punt was holed by the island reefs. The stalwart Rosslare lifeboat men managed to plug the leak by wedging a loaf of bread, wrapped in oilskins, into the opening and continued their rescue unabated until they took all remaining survivors to safety.

News of the dramatic event spread and a relief fund was set up for the widows and orphans of the lost men. Contributions were made far and wide including Norway’s King Haakon and Queen Maud who made personal donations. Sadly some of the contributions ended up in Tipperary’s inland town of Fethard and the coastal village’s official name was subsequently changed to Fethard-On-Sea to distinguish it. A memorial to the lost was erected in late 1915 and Fethard’s RNLI Lifeboat Station was closed owing to the concentrated impact of the loss of life upon the small village.


Fethard Quay is thought to be one of the smallest ports in the country
Image: Michael Harpur


Today Fethard is ten minute’s walk from the picturesque and tiny Fethard Quay. Built in 1741, the tiny quay is thought to be one of the smallest ports in the country. The village’s small main street with a mini market, a hotel, cafe and two pubs makes it the largest on the Hook Peninsula and it derives its income from fishing and tourism. Fethard Castle stands an unusual edifice amidst a small public park area off the north end of the main street. It has, in recent years, been acquired by Wexford County Council as a historic monument.


Yachts tucked in for the evening at Fethard
Image: Michael Harpur


In 1995 the RNLI reopened the station and placed an inshore lifeboat there. The boat is housed in the original 1886 boathouse, which was refurbished. In the centre of the village, there is a 1915 memorial to the lifeboatmen. It claims that Fethard has some of the bravest and most self-sacrificing lifeboat men in the world.

Other options in this area


Click the 'Next' and 'Previous' buttons to progress through neighbouring havens in a coastal 'clockwise' or 'anti-clockwise' sequence. Alternatively here are the ten nearest havens available in picture view:
Coastal clockwise:
Baginbun Bay - 0.6 miles S
Slade - 2.9 miles SW
Lumsdin's Bay - 2.3 miles SW
Templetown Bay - 2 miles WSW
Dollar Bay - 2.1 miles W
Coastal anti-clockwise:
Bannow Bay - 0.6 miles NE
Georgina’s Bay - 5.6 miles ESE
Gilert Bay - 5.6 miles ESE
Great Saltee (landing beach) - 5.5 miles ESE
Kilmore Quay - 5.5 miles E

Navigational pictures


These additional images feature in the 'How to get in' section of our detailed view for Fethard On Sea.







































A photograph is worth a thousand words. We are always looking for bright sunny photographs that show this haven and its identifiable features at its best. If you have some images that we could use please upload them here. All we need to know is how you would like to be credited for your work and a brief description of the image if it is not readily apparent. If you would like us to add a hyperlink from the image that goes back to your site please include the desired link and we will be delighted to that for you.


Add your review or comment:


Ron Lub wrote this review on May 26th 2019:

Very nice spot for anchorage! Dropped our anchor at 52.11.610 N - 006.49.23.200 W very good holding nice walkings on the shore.
there was a big ZW swell but no problem here

Average Rating: ****

Please log in to leave a review of this haven.



Please note eOceanic makes no guarantee of the validity of this information, we have not visited this haven and do not have first-hand experience to qualify the data. Although the contributors are vetted by peer review as practised authorities, they are in no way, whatsoever, responsible for the accuracy of their contributions. It is essential that you thoroughly check the accuracy and suitability for your vessel of any waypoints offered in any context plus the precision of your GPS. Any data provided on this page is entirely used at your own risk and you must read our legal page if you view data on this site. Free to use sea charts courtesy of Navionics.