England Ireland Find Havens
England Ireland Find Routes
Boat
Maintenance
Comfort
Operations
Safety
Other



NextPrevious

Larne Harbour

Tides and tools
Overview





Larne Harbour is a large commercial port situated on the northeast coast of Ireland and on the western side of the entrance to Larne Lough. The busy harbour area, adjacent to its large town, offers a range of mooring and anchoring opportunities.

The harbour and lough provide a range of locations where complete protection can be obtained. It is fair to say that Larne offers the best shelter along this coast between Belfast and Lough Foyle. Safe access can be had here, day or night, at any stage of the tide and in all reasonable conditions.
Please note

Larne Harbour is Northern Ireland's busiest ferry port with very fast cross channel ferries and shipping. Visiting yachts should take care not to impede commercial traffic, and make ‘Larne Port Control’ aware of your intentions prior to approach.




Be the first
to comment
Keyfacts for Larne Harbour
Facilities
Water hosepipe available alongsideWater available via tapGas availableTop up fuel available in the area via jerry cansMini-supermarket or supermarket availableExtensive shopping available in the areaFuel by arrangement with bulk tanker providerSlipway availableLaundry facilities availableShore based toilet facilitiesShowers available in the vicinity or by arrangementHot food available in the localityPublic house or wine bar in the areaCashpoint or bank available in the areaPost Office in the areaDoctor or hospital in the areaPharmacy in the areaChandlery available in the areaMarine engineering services available in the areaElectronics or electronic repair available in the areaBus service available in the areaTrain or tram service available in the areaRegional or international airport within 25 kilometresBicycle hire available in the areaCar hire available in the areaTourist Information office available


Nature
No fees for anchoring or berthing in this locationAnchoring locationVisitors moorings available, or possibly by club arrangementJetty or a structure to assist landingQuick and easy access from open waterNavigation lights to support a night approachSailing Club baseUrban nature,  anything from a small town of more 5,000 inhabitants  to a large cityHistoric, geographic or culturally significant location; or in the immediate vicinity

Considerations
Note: strong tides or currents in the area that require consideration

Protected sectors

Current wind over the protected quadrants
Minimum depth
4 metres (13.12 feet).

Approaches
5 stars: Safe access; all reasonable conditions.
Shelter
5 stars: Complete protection; all-round shelter in all reasonable conditions.



Last modified
July 18th 2018

Summary

A completely protected location with safe access.

Facilities
Water hosepipe available alongsideWater available via tapGas availableTop up fuel available in the area via jerry cansMini-supermarket or supermarket availableExtensive shopping available in the areaFuel by arrangement with bulk tanker providerSlipway availableLaundry facilities availableShore based toilet facilitiesShowers available in the vicinity or by arrangementHot food available in the localityPublic house or wine bar in the areaCashpoint or bank available in the areaPost Office in the areaDoctor or hospital in the areaPharmacy in the areaChandlery available in the areaMarine engineering services available in the areaElectronics or electronic repair available in the areaBus service available in the areaTrain or tram service available in the areaRegional or international airport within 25 kilometresBicycle hire available in the areaCar hire available in the areaTourist Information office available


Nature
No fees for anchoring or berthing in this locationAnchoring locationVisitors moorings available, or possibly by club arrangementJetty or a structure to assist landingQuick and easy access from open waterNavigation lights to support a night approachSailing Club baseUrban nature,  anything from a small town of more 5,000 inhabitants  to a large cityHistoric, geographic or culturally significant location; or in the immediate vicinity

Considerations
Note: strong tides or currents in the area that require consideration



Position and approaches
Expand to new tab or fullscreen

Haven position

54° 50.394' N, 005° 46.941' W

This is in the ‘Yellow Stone’ anchoring area on the 5 metre contour southwest of the rock to the south of Ballylumford power Station. This is located in the upper Lough three-quarters of a mile in from Ferris Point Light House and east of the L-shaped wharf, opposite No.7 buoy.

What is the initial fix?

The following Larne Harbour Initial Fix will set up a final approach:
54° 51.580' N, 005° 47.550' W
Half a mile north of the harbour and approximately midway between Larne No. 1 and No. 2 Light buoys. This is set upon the leading lights alignment of 184.3° T that leads through the centre of the entrance channel.


What are the key points of the approach?

Offshore details are available in the northeast Ireland’s Coastal Overview for Malin Head to Strangford Lough Route location.

  • Vessels approaching from the north or northeast can choose to pass either side around the well-marked Maidens and Hunter Rock.

  • Vessels approaching from the south should stand well off Islandmagee’s northernmost and foul Skernaghan Point. The lesser dangerous Barr and Ferris Points should be given a respectful distance.

  • Enter the channel midway between the No. 1 starboard and the No. 2 port buoys, turn southward and continue in along the east or port side of the channel.


Not what you need?
Click the 'Next' and 'Previous' buttons to progress through neighbouring havens in a coastal 'clockwise' or 'anti-clockwise' sequence. Below are the ten nearest havens to Larne Harbour for your convenience.
Ten nearest havens by straight line charted distance and bearing:
  1. Ferris Bay - 0.5 miles N
  2. Ballydowan - 0.6 miles SE
  3. Brown’s Bay - 0.6 miles NNE
  4. Magheramorne Point - 0.8 miles SSE
  5. Mill Bay - 0.9 miles SE
  6. Portmuck - 1.2 miles ENE
  7. Ballygalley Bay - 2.8 miles NW
  8. Whitehead - 3.6 miles SSE
  9. Carrickfergus Harbour & Marina - 4.9 miles S
  10. Greenisland - 5.7 miles SSW
These havens are ordered by straight line charted distance and bearing, and can be reordered by compass direction or coastal sequence:
  1. Ferris Bay - 0.5 miles N
  2. Ballydowan - 0.6 miles SE
  3. Brown’s Bay - 0.6 miles NNE
  4. Magheramorne Point - 0.8 miles SSE
  5. Mill Bay - 0.9 miles SE
  6. Portmuck - 1.2 miles ENE
  7. Ballygalley Bay - 2.8 miles NW
  8. Whitehead - 3.6 miles SSE
  9. Carrickfergus Harbour & Marina - 4.9 miles S
  10. Greenisland - 5.7 miles SSW
To find locations with the specific attributes you need try:

Resources search

Chart
Please use our integrated Navionics chart to appraise the haven and its approaches. Navionics charts feature in premier plotters from B&G, Raymarine, Magellan and are also available on tablets. Open the chart in a larger viewing area by clicking the expand to 'new tab' or the 'full screen' option.

Expand to new tab or fullscreen



How to get in?


Larne Harbour is situated on the west side of the entrance to Larne Lough where its large town is situated. It is Northern Ireland’s premier Ro-Ro and high-speed ferry terminus, and there is a continuous flow of ferries plying their way to and fro to Cairnryan, Troon and Fleetwood from its commercial harbour. Port installations, however, extend to both sides of the lough’s entrance where, on the Islandmagee side, the industrial complex of Ballylumford Power Station and its two jetties is situated. This is Northern Ireland's main power station, providing half of all its electricity.

Visiting yachts should keep a sharp eye out and take great care not to impede commercial traffic when approaching Larne. There are as many as eight thousand ship movements a year here, twenty-four hours a day. Expect most ships to head directly to Scotland by passing south of the Maidens. Occasionally vessels, that are awaiting berthing space in Larne, do pass to the north and then inside the Maidens.

It is recommended that ‘Larne Port Control’ is made aware of any approaching vessels intentions. They will advise all mariners on ship movements, weather, tide, etc. The call sign for the Port of Larne is 'Larne Port Control' on VHF Ch. 14, telephone +44 28 2887 2179/2100.


Northern Approach Vessels approaching from the north or northeast will need to navigate around the Maidens. These are made up of several clusters of rocks.

The north cluster consists of three small rocks that are arranged in the form of a triangle. The western Russell’s Rock is 1.00 metre above high water, the eastern Highlandman Rock covers one hour before high water, and the southern or Allen Rock covers at high water. Rocky ledges extend both to the northward and southeast of the Allen rock whilst the others are steep-to. A Highland Rock beacon shows their position.

Highlandman (Highland Rock) – unlit 1.5m position: 54°57.286'N, 005°43.935'W

The southern section consists of two clusters of rocks called the West and East Maiden that are separated from each other by a deep and wide sound.

They are situated 4 miles east out to sea from Ballygalley Head, a distance of 4.5 miles from Larne, and are steep-to all round. The Maidens are marked by a lighthouse with a white tower and black band on the East Maiden plus the remains of a West Maiden lighthouse that was taken out of service in 1903.

Maidens Lighthouse - Fl (3) 20s 29m 24M position: 54° 55.748’N, 005° 43.709’W

Those passing between the mainland and the Maidens will find the four-mile stretch of water free from dangers. The coastline from Ballygalley Head to Larne Head, a distance of 3.5 miles, is entirely clear of off lying dangers with good depths close in. Ballygalley Head is an 89 metres high round knuckle of a headland with a steep cliff and a base that is fringed by craggy basaltic rocks. Nearby stands the ruin of the ancient castle of Ballygally. It is possible to wait a tide here tucked in around the head.

Between the Maidens and Larne there is the singular Hunter Rock that has 0.8 metres of water over it. Hunter Rock is a well-marked shoal with North and South Cardinal Light buoys and it is the only danger here. It lies two and a half miles northeast of the entrance or 036° T from Ferris Point, the entrance’s eastern point. Similar to the Maidens, Larne may be approached on either side of Hunter Rock.

North Hunter - VQ position: 54° 53.046’N, 005 45.114’W

South Hunter - VQ (6) + LFl 10s position: 54° 52.691’N, 005 45.284’W





Southern Approach Local hazards for vessels approaching from the south are few. The southern extremity of the coast of Islandmagee lies seven miles to the south of Larne. It is readily identified by Black Head lighthouse that is situated on the northern extremity of Belfast Lough.

Black Head Lighthouse - Fl 3s 45m 27M position: 54° 46.016’N, 005° 41.338’W

To the north of Black Head, the coast of Islandmagee presents a steep perpendicular cliff composed of black basaltic rocks that at ‘The Gobbins’ attains a height of 45 metres. Deepwater will be found close in under the cliffs with no outlying dangers.

The Isle of Muck situated close off the black basaltic cliffs of Islandmagee will be visible all the way on the bow from Black Head. The high and bare green island presents a perpendicular sea facing cliff to the east. It must be passed on its seaward side as it is attached to the shore by a narrow neck of shingle beach that exposes at low water. North of the island Islandmagee’s precipitous cliffs ranges in height from 15 to 31 metres for three miles. This stretch of coastline is clear of obstructions, and a distance of 150 metres from the rocks, or holding to the 10-metre contour or more, clears all dangers.

The primary danger for a southern approach is at the northernmost point of Islandmagee, the foul Skernaghan Point. Skernaghan Point should be given a berth of at least 500 metres to avoid a rocky outcrop that stretches northward from it. Likewise, on rounding Skernaghan Point, keep at least 200 metres off Barr and Ferris Points as a vessel continues towards Larne Harbour entrance at the mouth of the Lough.


Initial fix location From the initial fix, situated midway between the No. 1 Green buoy Q (3) 10s and the No. 2 Red buoy Fl (2) R 6s, come into the entrance channel if the harbour is free of commercial shipping movements. Turn southward and align to prefer an approach along the east side of the channel passing alongside the port marks.

By night the harbour has leading lights in line 184° T. The Front light Beacon No. 11 is a white diamond, red stripe, on a red pile structure 6 metres high. The rear light, Beacon No 12, is a white diamond, red stripe on an aluminium round tower, 14 metres high approximately 600 metres further south.

Front light Beacon No. 11 - Oc4s position: 54° 49.597N, 005° 47' 806’W

Once within the entrance channel, several landmarks will be clearly seen. On the western side of the entrance to Larne Lough is the Chaine Tower. This is a tall grey Celtic tower with a conical top standing on Sandy Point.

Approximately 700 metres east-southeast of this on the opposite eastern side is Ferris Point on which stands the prominent Port Control Office. This has a conspicuous square white watch tower with a radar scanner on top that is surrounded by white walls.



Behind this on the northwest end of Islandmagee is the extensive gas fired Ballylumford Power Station with its three 126 metres high concrete chimneys. To the west of this, the 180 metres wide entrance channel leads into the lough providing at least 8 metres of water all the way through.



Track into the mouth of the lough toward these landmarks passing the No. 3 Green buoy Fl (2) G 6s off the Chaine Tower but preferring the eastern side port marks. These are the two port pile beacons in the lough’s entrance channel. The first is the No. 2 North Pile Fl.R.3s, a black metal post, square cage topmark, off Ferris Point. Then after Ballylumford boat harbour is the No. 4 South Pile FI(2) R.6s a white metal post with a cone topmark.


Haven location Berthing options, from the entrance inward, include the shallow but completely protected Ballylumford Boat Harbour. This little boat harbour is used by the small passenger ferries to Larne and is the only alongside berth available in Larne.

Situated on the on the east side of the harbour entrance channel, between the two port hand pile beacons and about 400 metres south of Ferris Point, it is only suitable for small shallow-draft vessels or those that can take to the hard. It has 0.6 metres LWS in the basin, is only 60 x 40 metres in size and gets crowded in summer.







Opposite Ballylumford power station and on the mainland side of the entrance is the Wymer's Jetty that is home to the East Antrim Boat Club. This is located between the port area and Curran Point and it offers an anchorage just off the west side of the entrance channel.

Anchoring is permitted in the area south from the end of the commercial harbour’s Phoenix Quay and northwest of a line from the Curran Point to the No.5 buoy. There are moorings for yachts here, but these are usually fully occupied by local boats that leave little room for visitors. The club offers some moorings and the best chance of securing one of these is to contact them in advance +44 28 28 277204. Alternatively, try VHF 37 for berthing instructions on arrival. This is a busy well-used anchorage where a tripping line is advisable. Land at Wymer's Jetty, which has LWS 0.3 metres at its head, or at the club slip close by. A drying berth may be available alongside Wymer's Jetty or at East Antrim Boat Club’s slip.

The best anchorage will be found in the upper Lough off the opposite, or Islandmagee, shore to the southwest of the Yellow Stone. This is a large moss-covered rock on the shore which is occasionally painted. It is situated nearly three-quarters of a mile in from Ferris Point Light House, east of the innermost L-shaped wharf and opposite the No.7 buoy. Positioning is key here as it is bounded to the north by an outfall pipeline and to the south by a submarine gas pipe.

The outfall pipeline runs north-south from the Ballylumford power station. It is marked by a red spar and should be avoided. Further south the Scotland - Ireland gas interconnector pipeline crosses the lough running 105° from Curran Point. It is marked by yellow diamond signs onshore and four yellow buoys off Curran Point. It is essential to avoid anchoring anywhere near the path of this submarine pipeline.

Once positioned in the 600 metres between these underwater obstacles Yellow Stone offers depths of five metres where there is very little tide. It offers complete protection against all winds and sea.

Although further south the Lough presents a large surface of the water at high tide that largely consists of drying flats and shoal banks of fine muddy sand, particularly so on the west side. There are however more anchorages in the lough and we list these separately Ballydowan Click to view haven, Mill Bay Click to view haven and Magheramorne Click to view haven. But this is far from exclusive and especially so for shallow draft vessels that can take to the hard. But apart for Mill Bay, with its pub immediately ashore, and the club at Magheramorne, Lough Larne is entirely rural.


Why visit here?
Larne is derived from the Gaelic Latharna meaning "‘descendants of Lathar’". Lathar was one of the twenty-five children of Úgaine Mór, Hugony the Great, a pre-Christian king of Ireland. His son Lathar was granted a section of the Antrim coast from Glenarm to Larn’s River Inver which became known in the Gaelic as Latharna. The area became known as Lathar-na, or the lands of Lathar, that in time softened to Larne.

The coastal area around Larne was inhabited countless millennia before the arrival of Úgaine Mór. This area is thought to have been one of the earliest inhabited areas of Ireland with its early human populations believed to have come across the North Channel from Scotland. The early coastal dwellers are believed to have had a sophisticated culture and traded with many Scottish settlements on the opposite shore, which in the case of Larne and its surrounds is clearly visible across the Irish Sea.

There is compelling evidence that early Greek and later Roman explorers visited Larne Lough as they refer to areas that describe Larne on ancient maps. The ancient Greeks detailed the Antrim Coast, and Ptolemy the astronomer and geographer of the 2nd century AD, clearly referred to Islandmagee on one of his maps. The location of the lough was also recorded by the Romans when Emperor Severus described how, in 204AD, a Roman slave galley bound for Scotland was blown off course to a place called Portus Saxa. Portus Saxa translates to ‘Port of the Standing Stones’ which would most likely have been Larne Lough and its surrounds.

From the end of the 8th century until about AD 950 the Vikings raided Ireland and the east and north coasts took the full brunt of the raids. In time the Vikings established camps here by the lough, and also to the south by Strangford Lough, and to the east by Lough Neagh. Eventually, they stopped raiding and settled down to trade and live among the locals. At this time Larne Lough took the name of its Viking king Ulfrich with the conjunction of fleet. The latter fleet was derived from the old Norse fljot meaning "inlet". In time this became anglicised to Wulfrichfjord and eventually Olderfleet at Curran Point. However, it is also possible the ‘Older’ component may have come from the Norse oldu meaning "wave".

In the 13th-century the Scots-Irish Bissett family built a castle here. In 1315 Edward the Bruce of Scotland, brother of Robert the Bruce, King of Scotland, landed at Larne with his 6000 strong army hopeful of winning the kingship of Ireland. He was welcomed by the Bissets at Olderfleet Castle then thought to be called Curran Castle. Edward saw Ireland as another front in the ongoing war against Norman England and Olderfleet Castle was of strategic importance in his bid to take it down. After his death, the castle was seized by the crown to guard against another Scottish invasion. The MacDonnells, successors to the Bissetts and later the Earls of Antrim, repeatedly tried to reclaim it. In 1569 Queen Elizabeth I, Queen of England and Ireland, appointed Sir Moyses Hill as the governor of Olderfleet Castle as it was seen as strategically important for any Tudor to rein in the wild Gaelic Clans of Ulster. In 1621 it was granted the "great planter" to Sir Arthur Chichester. It remained the property of the Chichester until William Agnew obtained a permanent lease of the Curran in 1823.

During the 17th century Larne would provide a major port of entry for the Plantation of Ulster but not be part of it. Its many Scottish settlers had also arrived through the private settlement which they had been doing for countless millennia before. Boats used to land at a small quay at the end of the present Quay Street. During the 18th and 19th centuries, the tide would turn the opposite way and the port of Larne became a port of embarkation from where many Ulster Irish emigrated to America. It was from Larne that in May 1717, the Friends Goodwill, the first immigrant ship to sail from Larne left for America and landed in Boston. Many Irish Bostonians descend from immigrants either from the Larne area or who left Ireland through Larne. By the end of the eighteenth century, Larne was increasingly becoming a major industrial and commercial centre that drove the need to develop the harbour area.

At the beginning of the nineteenth century a wooden quay was constructed at the Curran close to Olderfleet Castle. In 1834 the famous naval architect William Agnew, also responsible for the Maidens lighthouses and the then Larne Lough Lighthouse, built another larger quay in the area of the present harbour. By this stage, sail was beginning to give way to steam. The new and more reliable technology caused the shorter Donaghadee to Portpatrick packet service to be revised. In 1850 it was moved to Larne with its corresponding Scottish port moved to Stranraer. The new ports had become accessible to steam driven boats and much more protected. The packet service was to be the first of two transforming factors for Larne.

Then in 1866 the progressive entrepreneur James Chaine saw the potential to establish passenger services to Stranraer and America. He bought the Curran pier to cater for these services and was instrumental in the construction of the narrow-gauge railway to Ballymena. He also built the Olderfleet Hotel for visitors arriving at the harbour. It was the combination of his vision and financial resources that was to transform Larne into the successful commercial port that it remains to this day. In 1888 the replica traditional round ‘Chaine Tower’ was built on the western side of the entrance in memory of James Chaine MP with its inscription above the door reading: "THIS TOWER was erected and THE ROAD leading to it by the contributions of every class in this mixed community irrespective of creed or party all cordially united in esteem and affection for the Memory of JAMES CHAINE of Ballycraigy and Cairncastle Co. Antrim who represented this County in the Imperial Parliament of Great Britain and Ireland from February 1874 till 4 May 1185 when his early and lamented death in his 44th year off his age deprived his native County of one who had worked indefatigably for its interests especially in developing and improving the natural capabilities of the harbour of Larne and establishing its connection with Great Britain, the United States of America and with the inland parts of this County. "


In the twentieth century Larne would be the scene for an episode that would shape the development of what is now Northern Ireland. Known as the ‘Larne Gun Running’ and organised by Major Frederick H. Crawford and Captain Wilfrid Spender, this was a bid by the Ulster Unionist Council to equip the Ulster Volunteer Force. Opposed to Redmond’s Home Rule Act of 1914 they prepared for armed resistance. In the dead of night April 24th, 1914 the Clyde Valley entered Larne Lough laden with German rifles and ammunition. There then followed a precisely executed operation, where hundreds of private cars and lorries offloaded the arms and speedily dispersed them throughout the local countryside. In all 25,000 German rifles and millions of rounds of ammunition were landed when the Clyde Valley had also landed in Donaghadee, Bangor and Belfast. But the ‘Larne gun-running’ was to be the signature event of this episode and it is thought to have been the first time in history that motor-vehicles were used "on a large scale for a military-purpose, and with striking success".

The Irish Volunteers arranged their ‘Howth gun-running’, covered in the Howth Click to view haven entry, in July 1914. They transported the guns from a private yacht and unloaded them in daylight at the harbour, in front of a crowd. The corresponding episodes heightened tensions in Ireland, pulling it closer to the brink of a north-south civil war which was interrupted by the outbreak of World War One. Subsequently, partition prevented this north-south civil war from occurring. The event, however, escalated the political crisis and marked a major step in cementing the right to Ulster Unionist self-determination, with the recognition of such a right ultimately leading to the creation of Northern Ireland. During the ‘Troubles’, that was to be the continuing legacy of Partition, Larne was a loyalist stronghold and today still retains a strong loyalist outlook.

Close alongside the Chaine Tower is the memorial to the MV Princess Victoria which is one of the saddest maritime events in the history of the port. Built-in 1947 the ship was one of the earliest roll-on/roll-off (ro-ro) ferries and she operated from Stranraer to Larne. During the extreme storm on the night of the 31 January 1953, she became engulfed by what would later be known as the ‘Great Storm’. Ferocious gales of more than 112 kmph whipped the channel standing up 15 metres high waves and causing the worst North Sea surge ever recorded. Caught in the midst of the raging seas the crew battled to overcome the conditions, but rescue services failed to reach them before the ship flooded and sank. Of over 170 passengers and crew, 133 were lost. Included in this number were all the women and children on board of which many were local to the Larne area. The sinking still remains the deadliest maritime disaster in United Kingdom waters since World War II.

Today Larne’s heritage is visible in many of the surrounding areas. It presents its ancient history at sites such as its pre-history burial tomb known locally as 'the Druids Altar' at Islandmagee, and its mysterious souterrains above Cairncastle village, the atmospheric standing stones that litter the countryside. Archaeological digs in the area have found flint work and other artefacts that have been assigned dates from 6000 BC onwards. They speak of an ancient culture that lived on the shores of the North Channel and traded with people from the Scottish coast. Likewise, 10th and 11th century Viking burial sites and artefacts have been found and recently the body of a warrior has been successfully dated to that time. The remains of the Tower House at Olderfleet alongside East Antrim Boat Club are a reference its medieval past. The replica Irish Round Tower at the entrance of the harbour is dedicated to James Chaine, founder of the sea route from Larne to the Scottish mainland, and acts as a memorial to more modern events that have transformed Larne. History has left its mark on Larne.

Larne retains its formative link with Scotland. It is one of the most modern and busy roll-on/roll-off terminals in Northern Ireland with continuous streams of ships taking passengers and goods to and from Scotland. Annually it handles over 300,000 freight units a year, as well as 220,000 tourist vehicles and 845,000 passengers. It is operational 24 hours a day, seven days a week, with up to 20 arrivals and departures daily. Larne is to Northern Ireland as Dover is to England.

From a sailing perspective Larne, at first glance, may appear less than prepossessing. It is subject to the ceaseless hustle and bustle surrounding the ship movements, plus the concrete overpasses to support this traffic. Add to this the huge chimneys and industrial Ballylumford power station complex opposite the harbour, on Islandmagee, the area’s visual aesthetics are less than alluring. But once these aspects are set aside the haven truly shines.

Larne provides the coastal cruiser the best-sheltered anchorage between Belfast and Lough Foyle with all facilities close to hand. Moreover, although the immediate location may be industrial, Larne is located in the heart of some of Ireland’s most breathtaking coastal scenery. The world famous 23 mile Antrim Coast Road stretches northwards from Larne. The road from here travels past cliffs, beaches, hills, bays, forests, headlands, mountains and the lush green glens of Antrim. It all starts as the motorist drives ‘literally’ through a cliff via the ‘Black Arch’, a couple of miles outside of Larne. This makes it a good place to use as a base to explore the surrounding areas and the scenic Antrim Coast Road. It is also a good stop for cruising vessels to combine a historical past with a modern port, good transport links for a crew swap and great provisioning.


What facilities are available?
Larne is classified as a large town and with a population of over 18,000 people, it has all the fresh provisions you would expect to serve its community. Freshwater is laid on at Wymers Pier where a hose is available and fuel oil is supplied by road tanker. Vessels can come alongside the commercial quays to get fuel via an arrangement with the harbour office. Minor repairs can be undertaken by local firms and major repairs can be dealt with in Belfast. There is a passenger ferry from Islandmagee to Larne P: +44 28 2827 3785 for a timetable.

The port operates the shortest sea route to mainland Britain and there are frequent vehicle ferry services, including fast craft, to Cairnryan and freight services to Troon and Fleetwood. This shipping activity is well connected to public transport networks.

Larne has two train stations, Larne Town, and Larne Harbour at the ferry terminal. Larne Town provides an hourly Belfast Central service whilst the ferry terminal service is timed to connect with the ferries. The Belfast Central journey takes an hour and excellent onward connections are available from there. Belfast International Airport 32 km SW has international air services, and Belfast City Airport caters for domestic flights only.


Any security concerns?
Never a problem known to have occurred in Larne Harbour.


With thanks to:
Terry Crawford, local boatman of many decades. Photography with thanks to Don McCluney, Kenneth Allen, Albert Bridge, KyleH, Robin Somes, Rossographer, Mary and Angus Hogg, Anne Burgess, DOE NI, Aubrey Dale and Bernie McAllister.


Expand to new tab or fullscreen
Please zoom out to see the 'initial fix' for this location.
The above plots are not precise and indicative only.
























Aerial views of the Harbour's entrance.




Aerial views of the entrance whilst featuring the Chaine Memorial Tower & The Princess Victoria Memorial




A photo montage of Larne




Aerial views of Larne and Ballylumford




An unusual site of a steam train from Whitehead's Railway Preservation Society of Ireland's collection running along the shore of the Lough. There are also general views of the Lough.



A photograph is worth a thousand words. We are always looking for bright sunny photographs that show this haven and its identifiable features at its best. If you have some images that we could use please upload them here. All we need to know is how you would like to be credited for your work and a brief description of the image if it is not readily apparent. If you would like us to add a hyperlink from the image that goes back to your site please include the desired link and we will be delighted to that for you.


Add your review or comment:

Please log in to leave a review of this haven.



Please note eOceanic makes no guarantee of the validity of this information, we have not visited this haven and do not have first-hand experience to qualify the data. Although the contributors are vetted by peer review as practised authorities, they are in no way, whatsoever, responsible for the accuracy of their contributions. It is essential that you thoroughly check the accuracy and suitability for your vessel of any waypoints offered in any context plus the precision of your GPS. Any data provided on this page is entirely used at your own risk and you must read our legal page if you view data on this site. Free to use sea charts courtesy of Navionics.