England Ireland Find Havens
England Ireland Find Routes
Boat
Maintenance
Comfort
Operations
Safety
Other



NextPrevious

Lawrence Cove

Tides and tools
Overview





Lawrence Cove is located in Bearhaven, Co. Cork, on Ireland’s southwest coast within the highly protected area of water that lies behind Bear Island and the mainland to the north. Situated on Bere Island’s northeastern shoreline it offers a choice of pontoon berths and an anchorage in a peaceful and out of the way location.

Lawrence Cove is located in Bearhaven, Co. Cork, on Ireland’s southwest coast within the highly protected area of water that lies behind Bear Island and the mainland to the north. Situated on Bere Island’s northeastern shoreline it offers a choice of pontoon berths and an anchorage in a peaceful and out of the way location.

The anchorage, with moorings provided, offers shelter from all weather conditions except for strong northerly winds. However complete protection may be found by moving into the small very well run marina that is deeper into the cove. Although there are several dangers in approach, daylight access is straightforward at any state of the tide, within the protected Bearhaven waters.
Please note

Vessels over 15 metres LOA carrying draught of more than 2 metres should anchor off abrest of Turk Islet. A nighttime visit to the marina would not be advisable as the cove is rocky all-round. It would be best to anchor outside.




Be the first
to comment
Keyfacts for Lawrence Cove



Last modified
May 10th 2018

Summary* Restrictions apply

A good location with straightforward access.

Facilities
Water available via tapDiesel fuel available alongsideGas availableShop with basic provisions availableSlipway availableLaundry facilities availableShore power available alongsideShore based toilet facilitiesShowers available in the vicinity or by arrangementHot food available in the localityPublic house or wine bar in the areaMarked or notable walks in the vicinity of this locationPost Office in the areaInternet via a wireless access point availableChandlery available in the areaHaul-out capabilities via arrangementBoatyard with hard-standing available here; covered or uncoveredMarine engineering services available in the areaBus service available in the area


Nature
No fees for anchoring or berthing in this locationRemote or quiet secluded locationMarina or pontoon berthing facilitiesAnchoring locationVisitors moorings available, or possibly by club arrangementScenic location or scenic location in the immediate vicinitySet near a village or with a village in the immediate vicinityHistoric, geographic or culturally significant location; or in the immediate vicinity

Considerations
Restriction: shallow, drying or partially drying pierNote: harbour fees may be charged



 +353 27 75044      lcm@iol.ie    
Position and approaches
Expand to new tab or fullscreen

Haven position

51° 38.060' N, 009° 49.534' W

Alongside the marina pontoon.

What is the initial fix?

The following Lawrence Cove initial fix will set up a final approach:
51° 38.333' N, 009° 49.300' W
This waypoint is approximately 300 metres north of the entrance to the marina.


What are the key points of the approach?

Offshore details are available in southwestern Ireland’s Coastal Overview for Mizen Head to Loop Head Route location. Use the directions provided for Castletownbere Click to view haven, also known as Castletown Bearhaven, for approaches to Bearhaven.


Not what you need?
Click the 'Next' and 'Previous' buttons to progress through neighbouring havens in a coastal 'clockwise' or 'anti-clockwise' sequence. Below are the ten nearest havens to Lawrence Cove for your convenience.
Ten nearest havens by straight line charted distance and bearing:
  1. Lonehort Harbour - 0.7 miles ENE
  2. Mill Cove - 1.2 miles NW
  3. Castletownbere (Castletown Bearhaven) - 2 miles WNW
  4. Dunboy Bay & Traillaun Harbour - 2.3 miles W
  5. Adrigole - 3.1 miles NE
  6. Ballynatra - 3.2 miles SSE
  7. Dooneen Pier - 3.4 miles SE
  8. Kilcrohane Pier - 3.8 miles SE
  9. Ballycrovane Harbour - 4.2 miles NW
  10. Ardgroom Harbour - 4.6 miles NNW
These havens are ordered by straight line charted distance and bearing, and can be reordered by compass direction or coastal sequence:
  1. Lonehort Harbour - 0.7 miles ENE
  2. Mill Cove - 1.2 miles NW
  3. Castletownbere (Castletown Bearhaven) - 2 miles WNW
  4. Dunboy Bay & Traillaun Harbour - 2.3 miles W
  5. Adrigole - 3.1 miles NE
  6. Ballynatra - 3.2 miles SSE
  7. Dooneen Pier - 3.4 miles SE
  8. Kilcrohane Pier - 3.8 miles SE
  9. Ballycrovane Harbour - 4.2 miles NW
  10. Ardgroom Harbour - 4.6 miles NNW
To find locations with the specific attributes you need try:

Resources search



How to get in?
Lawrence Cove
Image: Adrian O'Neill


Lawrence Cove is situated on the north shoreline of Bere Island 1½ miles to the west of Lonehort Point. It is entered between Ardagh Point and Turk Islet where after about 200 metres the navigable width is considerably restricted by a rocky ledge, south of which is a small harbour. Its shores are rocky and foul, particularly on the east side which is best avoided. It provides good shelter to leisure craft in all winds except the north and there is a marina in the southwest corner of the cove.



Convergance Point Use the directions provided for Castletownbere Click to view haven, also known as Castletown Bearhaven, for approaches to Bearhaven.


Eastern Approach Vessels approaching from the east should keep at least 400 metres off when rounding Palmer Point to clear the off-lying Palmer Rock. Palmer Rock extends 300 metres off and has 1.8 metres of water over it. Another rock, with 1.6 metres of cover, lies about 150 metres north of Turk Island. Although described as 2 metres high, Turk Island is in fact 6 metres high but still difficult to identify when viewed from seaward.


Western Approach The western approach is clear of off-lying obstructions to within 200 metres and as such a central to western approach to the cove is to be preferred.


Initial fix location From the initial fix there are two options: pick up the seasonal visitor moorings situated south by southeast of Ardnagh Point, or proceed south for the marina at the head of the inlet.

Those opting for the moorings will find four 15 ton seasonal visitor moorings in the cove around Ardnagh Point. They are large, coloured bright yellow and labelled VISITOR.

Lawrence’s Cove - Four visitor moorings position: 51° 38.200’N 09° 42.200’W.

Those proceeding south for the marina should stay central keeping at least 100 metres off the western shore to starboard as you progress in. This avoids an outlying rock with 2 metres over it just off the mouth of the creek – see useful reef marker alignment mark below.



Once around the headland that forms the west side of the entrance, a small 9-metre high island will be seen. It has a detached pier on its west side and a large conspicuous rusty cylinder on its southern end. The inlet narrows as this small islet is approached, as a rocky ledge extends south-westward from the eastern shore to the islet that marks its extremity.



This reef dries entirely at low water except for a central gap that has 0.4 metres of water and is marked by a pole. This pole can assist in avoiding the outlying western rock when entering the cove. By keeping it between the two-story house, formerly the island school house, on the shoreline and the Martello tower, high on the hill to the southwest, the outlier may be avoided.
Please note

Maintain a watch for the eastern ferry that runs from the 'Pontoon' pier in Lough Beal to its slip inside the reef on the south-eastern shore. It either chooses a route around the islet or, at high water, cuts across a central gap in the reef that is marked by the pole.





Approach the islet keeping within 50 metres of the western shore, where no less than 5 metres will be found, and pass midway between the islet to port, and the western shore to starboard.

Haven location Proceed to the marina’s pontoons in the southwest end of the creek where the least depth on the way will be 2.5 metres. There is a rock with 1.5 metres over it marked by a red post with cross marks just off the seaward end of the long pontoon. The northeast/southwest facing pontoons carry 3 metres of water. The diesel berth is at the outer end of the first pontoon.



Vessels that can take-to-the-hard may at high water venture across to the old quay on the east side of Lawrence's Cove. Although very convenient for Rerrin it can only be advised in settled conditions as the old quay dries to rock.


Why visit here?
Lawrence Cove, the apostrophe after ‘Lawrence' has been dropped, is the main harbour for Bere Island and is situated near the main village of Rerrin, in Irish Raerainn. The harbour offers cruisers a rare pontoon berth on the western coast and is the gateway to the truly wonderful Bere Island and its surrounding destinations.

Bere Island in Irish Oiléan Béarra, meaning "Beara’s island" although it is officially called An tOileán Mór meaning "the big island", is said to have been named by a 2nd Century king of Munster, Mogh Nuadat, in honour of his wife, Beara, the daughter of Heber Mor, King of Castile. Largely due to its strategic location, the island has a deep and varied history.

This rich early archaeological legacy can be experienced today in its sites dating from the Bronze Age through to Medieval times, which include ring forts, standing stones, wedge tombs and burial sites. In the middle ages, it became the property of the O'Sullivan Bere clan and remained so until the power of the Gaelic chieftains was finally broken in 1602. Bere Island played its part in this defeat when Sir George Carew landed his army in Lonehort Harbour Click to view haven and ordered a road to be built across the island to transport the pro-English forces to Dunboy Bay Click to view haven; discussed in the entries of these havens. This may have been the first military encounter for Bere Island, but it would not be the last.

In December 1796 a French fleet entered Bantry Bay and Bearhaven Harbour. It was led by General Hoche under the direction of Wolfe Tone the Irish leader of the United Irishmen. The famous French longboat, which is now preserved in the National Museum of Ireland, landed at Bere Island. Adverse winds prevented the main force landing and eventually caused the fleet to disperse and return home. In August 1798 there was a further invasion attempt, at Killala in County Mayo, following the Irish Rebellion of that year. With Britain being at war again with France, this close call in Bantry Bay caused the authorities to review their Irish defensive plans and take action.

Four Martello Towers, all circular in shape and built of rubble masonry, were constructed on Bere Island. They were sited to defend the anchorage between the mainland and the small harbour of Lawrence Cove. In addition to the towers, also constructed was a signal tower, a barracks for 2 officers and 150 men, a quay and storehouses. Reported to be finished on February 2nd, 1805, the Bere Island towers were probably the earliest to be completed of the chain that would eventually completely encircle Ireland. After the end of the Napoleonic Wars, with the exception of the 1850 construction of Ardnakinna beacon and then Lighthouse, there was a period of military stagnation. However, its effects remained on Bere Island’s domestic population. Most notably and unlike the other islands off the Irish coast, Bere Island’s large population were all English speakers and the Irish language had entirely ceased to be used as early as 1885. At the time of the 1841 census this population was a sizable 2,122, but by the 1851 census, the population had decreased to 1,454 due to The Great Famine. The population decline continued in line with the national trend for emigration throughout the 19th and 20th centuries.

The islands military activities recommenced in 1898 when the enclosed water of Bearhaven Harbour was destined to be a fortified anchorage for Queen Victoria’s Atlantic fleet of Dreadnaughts. The British Military raised a compulsory purchase order on large areas of the island in order to construct additional fortifications. In 1922 under the terms of the Anglo-Irish Treaty that followed the Irish War of Independence, the British withdrew from most of Ireland except for three deepwater Treaty Ports, at Bearhaven, Queenstown renamed Cobh, and Lough Swilly, which were retained as sovereign bases until 1938.

Today Bere Island is a much quieter place with a population of about 200 people. The ghost structures of the imperial build up, the Martello towers, signal towers, military barracks, and the fortification that still hosts two six-inch guns, can all still be seen. Being a small island, roughly 11kms x 5kms in size, it is a size that is manageable for walkers to freely explore. The island is a quiet paradise and the stunning vistas northward to the mainland's towering Slieve Miskish and Caha Mountain ranges on the Beara Peninsula are spectacular. Yet situated 2 km offshore from the town of Castletownbere, the island retains a distinct and easy charm of rural places disconnected from cities and crowds.

From a boating standpoint, Bere Island is a peaceful, tranquil, unspoilt and undeveloped spot with scenery and sunsets that will take your breath away. Along with good pubs, a veritable host of historical interest, beaches all around as well as the ‘Beara Way Walking’ route there is plenty of local interest to occupy the visiting cruiser.

Lawrence Cove Marina is the only marina between Kinsale and Dingle, and it provides an excellent base or a coastal cruising stepping stone from which to explore Bantry Bay; in addition, Adrigole, Glengarriff and Bantry Harbour are all accessible within a few miles. Moreover, around Three Castles Head, the havens of Dunmanus Bay are also easily accessible from here, plus around Mizen Head those of Crookhaven, Schull and Baltimore etc. Likewise, to the north, the Kenmare River and Dingle Bay are within easy reach. In addition to this, it is a safe secure place to leave a boat for a period, with plenty of serious cruising waiting well within range on return.


What facilities are available?
The marina has fuel, water, WiFi, electricity, showers and clothes washing facilities. A very useful service with the showers is that they use standard 2 Euro coins. Hence if a vessel arrives outside office hours the facilities are still accessible as there is no necessity to obtain dedicated tokens from the office. Basic shops, post office and essential provisions are within twenty minutes walk from the marina and there are 2 pubs and 2 restaurants on the island. It is served by a car ferry which can carry light vehicles, and this is met by private mini bus to Cork.

There is a travel-lift crane providing capability for below-waterline repairs, and secure over-wintering storage ashore. Should you choose to do this you can leave the boat in care and take the ferry to pick up a connection to Cork (or Cork airport which is a 2 hour drive).


Any security concerns?
Never an incident known to have occurred in Lawrence Cove.


With thanks to:
Burke Corbett, Gusserane, New Ross, Co. Wexford. Photography with thanks to Burke Corbett and Google.


Expand to new tab or fullscreen
Please zoom out to see the 'initial fix' for this location.
The above plots are not precise and indicative only.




















About Lawrence Cove

Lawrence Cove, the apostrophe after ‘Lawrence' has been dropped, is the main harbour for Bere Island and is situated near the main village of Rerrin, in Irish Raerainn. The harbour offers cruisers a rare pontoon berth on the western coast and is the gateway to the truly wonderful Bere Island and its surrounding destinations.

Bere Island in Irish Oiléan Béarra, meaning "Beara’s island" although it is officially called An tOileán Mór meaning "the big island", is said to have been named by a 2nd Century king of Munster, Mogh Nuadat, in honour of his wife, Beara, the daughter of Heber Mor, King of Castile. Largely due to its strategic location, the island has a deep and varied history.

This rich early archaeological legacy can be experienced today in its sites dating from the Bronze Age through to Medieval times, which include ring forts, standing stones, wedge tombs and burial sites. In the middle ages, it became the property of the O'Sullivan Bere clan and remained so until the power of the Gaelic chieftains was finally broken in 1602. Bere Island played its part in this defeat when Sir George Carew landed his army in Lonehort Harbour Click to view haven and ordered a road to be built across the island to transport the pro-English forces to Dunboy Bay Click to view haven; discussed in the entries of these havens. This may have been the first military encounter for Bere Island, but it would not be the last.

In December 1796 a French fleet entered Bantry Bay and Bearhaven Harbour. It was led by General Hoche under the direction of Wolfe Tone the Irish leader of the United Irishmen. The famous French longboat, which is now preserved in the National Museum of Ireland, landed at Bere Island. Adverse winds prevented the main force landing and eventually caused the fleet to disperse and return home. In August 1798 there was a further invasion attempt, at Killala in County Mayo, following the Irish Rebellion of that year. With Britain being at war again with France, this close call in Bantry Bay caused the authorities to review their Irish defensive plans and take action.

Four Martello Towers, all circular in shape and built of rubble masonry, were constructed on Bere Island. They were sited to defend the anchorage between the mainland and the small harbour of Lawrence Cove. In addition to the towers, also constructed was a signal tower, a barracks for 2 officers and 150 men, a quay and storehouses. Reported to be finished on February 2nd, 1805, the Bere Island towers were probably the earliest to be completed of the chain that would eventually completely encircle Ireland. After the end of the Napoleonic Wars, with the exception of the 1850 construction of Ardnakinna beacon and then Lighthouse, there was a period of military stagnation. However, its effects remained on Bere Island’s domestic population. Most notably and unlike the other islands off the Irish coast, Bere Island’s large population were all English speakers and the Irish language had entirely ceased to be used as early as 1885. At the time of the 1841 census this population was a sizable 2,122, but by the 1851 census, the population had decreased to 1,454 due to The Great Famine. The population decline continued in line with the national trend for emigration throughout the 19th and 20th centuries.

The islands military activities recommenced in 1898 when the enclosed water of Bearhaven Harbour was destined to be a fortified anchorage for Queen Victoria’s Atlantic fleet of Dreadnaughts. The British Military raised a compulsory purchase order on large areas of the island in order to construct additional fortifications. In 1922 under the terms of the Anglo-Irish Treaty that followed the Irish War of Independence, the British withdrew from most of Ireland except for three deepwater Treaty Ports, at Bearhaven, Queenstown renamed Cobh, and Lough Swilly, which were retained as sovereign bases until 1938.

Today Bere Island is a much quieter place with a population of about 200 people. The ghost structures of the imperial build up, the Martello towers, signal towers, military barracks, and the fortification that still hosts two six-inch guns, can all still be seen. Being a small island, roughly 11kms x 5kms in size, it is a size that is manageable for walkers to freely explore. The island is a quiet paradise and the stunning vistas northward to the mainland's towering Slieve Miskish and Caha Mountain ranges on the Beara Peninsula are spectacular. Yet situated 2 km offshore from the town of Castletownbere, the island retains a distinct and easy charm of rural places disconnected from cities and crowds.

From a boating standpoint, Bere Island is a peaceful, tranquil, unspoilt and undeveloped spot with scenery and sunsets that will take your breath away. Along with good pubs, a veritable host of historical interest, beaches all around as well as the ‘Beara Way Walking’ route there is plenty of local interest to occupy the visiting cruiser.

Lawrence Cove Marina is the only marina between Kinsale and Dingle, and it provides an excellent base or a coastal cruising stepping stone from which to explore Bantry Bay; in addition, Adrigole, Glengarriff and Bantry Harbour are all accessible within a few miles. Moreover, around Three Castles Head, the havens of Dunmanus Bay are also easily accessible from here, plus around Mizen Head those of Crookhaven, Schull and Baltimore etc. Likewise, to the north, the Kenmare River and Dingle Bay are within easy reach. In addition to this, it is a safe secure place to leave a boat for a period, with plenty of serious cruising waiting well within range on return.

Other options in this area


Click the 'Next' and 'Previous' buttons to progress through neighbouring havens in a coastal 'clockwise' or 'anti-clockwise' sequence. Alternatively here are the ten nearest havens available in picture view:
Coastal clockwise:
Mill Cove - 1.2 miles NW
Castletownbere (Castletown Bearhaven) - 2 miles WNW
Dunboy Bay & Traillaun Harbour - 2.3 miles W
Dursey Sound - 7.5 miles W
Garnish Bay - 7 miles W
Coastal anti-clockwise:
Lonehort Harbour - 0.7 miles ENE
Adrigole - 3.1 miles NE
Glengarriff Harbour - 7.8 miles ENE
Bantry Harbour - 8.5 miles ENE
Ballynatra - 3.2 miles SSE

Navigational pictures


These additional images feature in the 'How to get in' section of our detailed view for Lawrence Cove.



















A photograph is worth a thousand words. We are always looking for bright sunny photographs that show this haven and its identifiable features at its best. If you have some images that we could use please upload them here. All we need to know is how you would like to be credited for your work and a brief description of the image if it is not readily apparent. If you would like us to add a hyperlink from the image that goes back to your site please include the desired link and we will be delighted to that for you.


Add your review or comment:

Please log in to leave a review of this haven.



Please note eOceanic makes no guarantee of the validity of this information, we have not visited this haven and do not have first-hand experience to qualify the data. Although the contributors are vetted by peer review as practised authorities, they are in no way, whatsoever, responsible for the accuracy of their contributions. It is essential that you thoroughly check the accuracy and suitability for your vessel of any waypoints offered in any context plus the precision of your GPS. Any data provided on this page is entirely used at your own risk and you must read our legal page if you view data on this site. Free to use sea charts courtesy of Navionics.